By Loretta L. Worters, Vice President, Media Relations, Triple-I
The Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation (IICF) will host its Global Conference on Inclusion in Insurance June 13-15 at the New York Hilton Midtown.
The first in-person international event in the conference series since the 2019 Women in Insurance Global Conference, it will bring together hundreds of insurance professionals, C-suite executives and leadership and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) experts, alongside sustainability, wellness and business leaders for sessions dedicated to bringing ideas to action and providing practical take-aways and strategies.
What makes each conference strong is the quality of the content and its speakers. The IICF Planning Committee, which changes from year to year, is made up of industry professionals closest to the issues of the day and represents all areas of the US and UK in planning. It is an industry working together that makes this conference particularly powerful.
This year’s conference will include new topics in leadership, personal and professional growth, insurance operations and the future of work.
Leadership topics include:
- Personal financewith Jean Chatzky — Today Show finance editor for 25 years and founder and CEO of HerMoney.com and the coaching programs FinanceFixx and InvestingFixx;
- Building women’s public voice, with Emily Donahoe, Founder/Principal, WOMENSPEAK Training; and
- Navigate generational differenceswith Chris Desantis, author, speaker and podcast host of Cubicle Confidential.
Industry topics include:
- Attract customers to the insurance offer (in an inclusive way)with Claire Burns of The Hartford.
Inclusion topics include:
- Changing the conversation about bias, discrimination and privilege using brain science, with best-selling author and speaker Eric Bailey; and
- To change the workplace for goodwith diversity speaker, author and consultant Michelle Silverthorn.
Other speakers include:
- Carmen Duarte, Vice President, Diversity, Inclusion and Social Impact, Intact Insurance Specialty Solutions; and
“IICF is pleased to welcome such a well-rounded field of speakers for the eleventh year of what was formerly known as the IICF Women in Insurance Conference Series,” said Elizabeth Myatt, Vice President, Program Director and Executive Director of the IICF Northeast Division. “This event serves as a powerful catalyst for our industry as we bring together insurance professionals of all ages and career stages to discuss, learn and drive forward important strategies.”
Myatt, who has chaired the conference since its inception, noted that it is her favorite part of the job. “It’s been wonderful to see the evolution of the conference series,” she said. “It’s not just gender focused – it’s all kinds of diversity, leadership and innovation and it’s the business of the industry, which has made it so valuable and meaningful to the participants.”
Myatt recognizes the importance of promoting DEI, which needs to be embedded in everything in the business, and everyone needs to see the shared value. She said a congressional report this year outlined some of the ways the insurance industry has made an impact.
“There has been progress in gender diversity and for African Americans, although we haven’t made as much progress in the Hispanic community as we would like,” she said. “Through our conferences and the IDEA Council’s development of the IICF Talent Hub – an online resource center for non-traditional job seekers to learn about insurance industry jobs and career opportunities – and the Mentoring Alliance, which will prepare, inspire and empower diverse talent by pairing them with role models and allies from leading companies in the industry, we are starting to see results.”
The theme for the past four years of the global conference has been to drive ideas into action, Myatt said.
“We want to provide tools and innovation. We don’t want the ideas shared here to stay in the room,” she said. “We plan to arm our audience with ways to make change, whether it’s personal, professional or cultural.”
To register for the conference, go to: https://inclusion.iicf.org/.