If your car unexpectedly fails emission tests, make sure it still has a catalytic converter.
The catalytic converter is a device in your car that helps clean exhaust emissions. Without the catalytic converter and the chemical reactions it causes, your car emits more harmful exhaust fumes.
Although your car will probably still run without a catalytic converter, it will probably not be able to pass an emissions test. If you live somewhere that requires emission testing – like New York – you may need to have a new catalytic converter installed before you can register your vehicle. A missing catalyst can also affect fuel efficiency and make your car run tougher. In other words, you need to have a catalyst – and that makes recent thefts a problem.
Catalyst thefts are on the way
Catalysts contain precious metals. The value of these metals has increased in recent years, making catalysts a tempting target for thieves.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, an average of 108 catalyst thefts occurred each month in 2018. In 2019, the number went up to 282 thefts per month. In 2020, the number rose to 1,203 thefts per month. California, Texas, Minnesota, North Carolina and Illinois have seen the highest number of thefts, but the crime can occur anywhere.
To avoid becoming the next victim, take action:
- Park your vehicle or fleet in a safe area. . A garage or secure parking space is perfect. Motion sensor lights can also deter thieves.
- Protect vehicles with alarms and anti-theft devices.
Steps to Trace Your Catalyst Have Been Stolen
If your catalyst has been stolen, you must take action.
- First check that the catalyst has actually been stolen. Although these devices usually have a long service life, they can become clogged or damaged. If your catalytic converter has been stolen, you should be able to see where it has been cut. You can also take your car to a mechanic.
- Submit a Police Report. Contact your local police to file a report. Even if they cannot recover the catalyst, reporting the crime can help police understand the extent of the problem in your area. You may also need a police report for insurance purposes.
- Contact your insurance company. If you have comprehensive car insurance coverage, the theft of the catalytic converter should be covered. You usually have to pay the deductible.
- Has a new catalyst installed. According to AutoZone, the cost of a new direct catalytic converter can cost anywhere from $ 300 to $ 2,500, and you have to pay for labor in addition to that.
Do you need a personal or commercial car insurance review or quote? BNC Insurance can help with that. Contact us for more information.