When I conclude a risk management review for one of our commercial partners, the most common loss area we discuss is the vehicle fleet. Whether your company has a vehicle or 100, drivers out on the roadway pose a constant risk to your vehicles and employees.
I often come across attitudes like "Well, it's just inevitable" or "That's why we have insurance to deal with the damage." But many accidents can be avoided, and improving driver / vehicle performance has countless benefits for a business. Insurance can repair or replace a vehicle, but it can not reduce the stress of getting a vehicle out of service, an employee injured after an accident or being sued for an accident that was not your driver's fault. A powerful tool for handling vehicles is telematics with cameras. Simply put, telematics devices are placed in your vehicles that can provide a huge amount of information for the benefit of your business. These systems continue to increase in quality and reduce cost.
Here are some typical applications:
- Know where your vehicles are with location / status in real time: improve customer service with exact delivery or arrival time.
- Improve Driver Behavior and Safety: Identify bad driving habits and use the information to train your drivers to correct problems before they lead to accidents. Develop a culture of safe driving.
- Vehicle Maintenance: Track your vehicle performance and identify problems while remaining simple repairs and not costly breakdowns.
- Improved vehicle performance: used to improve route efficiency, fuel consumption and driver points / rewards.
- Accident Investigation: Most accidents are not due to your drivers, but commercial drivers rarely get the benefit of the doubt at the collision site. A camera supplement can prove what actually happened during an accident and ensure that the error is determined correctly. These cameras can also be used to identify and reduce distracted driving.
These systems are all too often seen as "big brother watching me" by pilots, making fleet owners / managers hesitant to install. But if explained and used correctly (being transparent with drivers and involving them in the results of the systems), it can have a huge impact on your culture and fleet performance. Properly used telematics shows your drivers that you care about their safety. I encourage fleet owners to test a system in a vehicle. When they see the benefits, it is common for telematics to be installed quickly in all vehicles.
Central Mutual Insurance has partnered with Azuga to bring the best telematics and camera systems in the class to significant savings. Check out the benefits and prices here: https://www.azuga.com/premium-partner/central-insco. I strongly urge the owners of the fleet to give these systems a chance, you will be amazed at how much you can tailor this technology to benefit your business.
The information above is of a general nature and your policy and coverage. provided may differ from the examples provided. Read your insurance policy in its entirety to determine your available coverage.
Copyright © 2021 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All Rights Reserved.