(Reuters) — Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. confirmed on Monday that a hacker had leaked the early images of Grand Theft Auto VI, the next installment of the best-selling video game.
Dozens of development videos of the game showing footage of heists, gunplay and open-world driving were posted on an online message board by the hacker, in what could be one of the biggest game leaks.
However, the company said it did not expect the incident to affect the game’s development, helping its shares pare some of their losses from a 6% drop in premarket trading.
“Current Rockstar Games services are unaffected. We have already taken steps to isolate and contain this incident,”; Take-Two said in a statement.
The hacking incident sparked fears of a delay in the release of the highly anticipated title, whose development was confirmed in February. Some analysts were also concerned about a potential leak of the game’s source code.
“If the source code is leaked, it may require significant changes under the hood of the game to ensure its stability and server integrity for GTA VI Online once it launches,” said Jefferies analyst Andrew Uerkwitz.
However, most brokerages said the early images looked good despite not being intended for distribution.
“The leaked images simply confirm existing market rumors about the game’s development that have been circulating for years,” Benchmark analyst Mike Hickey said.
The hacker, who also claimed to be the person behind a cyber incident at Uber Technologies Inc. last week, had posted a message on the forum about trying to “negotiate a deal” with Take-Two.