Social media has revolutionized the way we communicate with each other, and it has also become an important part of doing business. It is now an exceptional tool for connecting with your customers, promoting your products or services and building your business – all of which can play an important role in your success.
Not sure where to start? We are here to help. As a company, we’ve learned how to harness the power of these platforms, and we’re here to help you do the same. When you’re ready to navigate the social space, read on for seven social media tips for small businesses.
- Know your audience. Before you can create a successful social media strategy, you need to decide who you̵7;re talking to. Who is your target audience and how can they benefit from your brand? What information would they find relevant, useful and engaging? Your first goal should be to understand and empathize with your audience, so you can continue to offer solutions to their problems, add value to their lives, and share content that will resonate with them.
- Choose the right platforms. With so many social media channels, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. But the good news is: You don’t have to maintain an active presence on all platforms. We recommend choosing one or two that fit your brand and investing your efforts there. For example, if your business is more visual, Instagram would be a great place to showcase your products or services. Alternatively, if your business offers B2B services, LinkedIn would be an ideal platform to promote your brand and connect with potential customers.
- Create unique, engaging content. Have you ever heard the expression “Content is king?” It dates back to the 90s, but is still true today because all marketing strategies have content at their core. Instead of just promoting your products, use social media content marketing to showcase your unique expertise, build trust, and give potential customers an incentive to do business with you. Share engaging blog posts, infographics, videos, and other content that can educate people about who you are, what you do, and how you help your customers. These tactics will not only establish your brand, but they have the power to increase engagement and generate potential leads.
- Be authentic. In today’s world, authenticity is an important factor for success in social media. Consumers want to connect with brands that are genuine and real, so don’t be afraid to show your personality and values through your channels.
- Take advantage of paid advertising. Social media platforms offer paid advertising options that allow you to promote your brand, services and products to people who are most likely to be interested in them. And since organic reach is far from what it once was, it literally pays to use paid advertising. Just set your targeting options and a budget, then monitor your campaign closely to ensure it delivers the best results.
- Engage with your followers. Social media is about two-way communication: a dialogue, not a monologue. To engage with your audience, engage in conversations and discussions about your industry, respond to comments and messages quickly, and be personal in your interactions. Listening to and conversing with your followers will help you create a sense of community around your brand, improve your reputation and increase your chances of getting new customers.
- Analyze your results. To make sure you know what’s working and what’s not, use analytics tools—provided by each social media platform—to track your performance. Then use these insights to refine your strategy and optimize your content.
Want to learn more about marketing your small business? Read our blog post: How to get positive reviews online. And if you want to learn more about protecting your small business, start a conversation with a local, independent agent. We offer comprehensive commercial insurance coverage plus unique enhancements.