Summer is here, and with hot weather comes rising electricity bills and other expensive household costs. None of these savings tips are particularly costly, but each of them can help turn your home into a more comfortable place to escape from the scorching summer sun.
- Replace your air filters in your air conditioner and valves. Accumulated dust, dirt and other allergens can all make your system work less efficiently.
- Remove debris from your external air conditioner and water heater.
- Inspect and repair any leaking ducts. In many cases, your home insurance covers this type of repair.
- If you do not already have one, get a programmable thermostat and set it to 78 degrees Fahrenheit when you are at home and higher when you are away.
- Check if there are sources of phantom power, as these can drive up electricity costs. Disconnect electronics, appliances and tools when not in use. Leaving these connected will continue to cause power outages.
- Clean your ceiling fans and window fans and make sure they work. Using a fan to circulate air can significantly reduce costs during the summer months.
- Check windows and doors for leaks. Make necessary adjustments so that warm air does not seep in and cooler air stays inside.
- Turn down your water heater to a warm setting. There is no need to heat your water so much during the summer months because the water will have time to heat up by itself when it is in the tank and pipe.
- Set a schedule so that you only run your dishwasher, washing machine and other important appliances during off-peak hours and when you have a full load. Use cold water settings. Let the sun dry your laundry if possible, as it not only saves money, but also makes your garments smell fresh and clean.
Having the right insurance can also prevent you from having to incur expensive repair costs during the hottest time of the year. One of the last steps you should take to prepare your home for hot weather is to review your homeowners insurance, rent insurance, health insurance and all other personal insurance policies to ensure you are covered in the event of an accident, accident, damage or natural disaster. Heat-related injuries and deaths increase significantly during the hot summer months.
We are more than happy to review your existing personal insurance or present you with alternatives that you can afford. Because each of our agents is local in the community, we can offer a level of service and convenience that is not regularly found in the insurance industry. The meetings can be booked at the time that suits you best.
We hope you never find a reason to use your personal insurance, but it’s important to plan for the unexpected. Having insufficient or no personal insurance coverage can lead to you paying thousands in your own pocket. Our agents are determined to do everything we can to help you get the highest possible coverage at the lowest possible price. Contact us and book a meeting to discuss your needs today.