Central Insurance operates on a people-first culture, so when feedback on its Worker engagement survey suggested that the paid leave policy had room for improvement, the company took it on board.
“At Central Insurance, we invest in our people and treat each of our employees as owners,” says Human Resources Manager Jena Wierwille. “When we heard from our team that paid time off was an area for improvement, we took action.”
Inspired by progressive policies in the technology industry, the company renewed its PTO package to maximize flexibility, better support employees and their families, and promote a company culture that prioritizes caring for its employees.
Why create a modern paid leave policy?
The insurance industry is developing rapidly and Central’s benefits package is needed to reflect a workplace built for the future.
“The ability to offer forward-thinking, cutting-edge employee benefits in our industry is a top priority,” said Wierwille. “Our employees should never have to choose between their work and taking care of themselves and their families. We believe this is the right move for Central Insurance and its employees and is directly in line with our vision for the future of the organization.”
Subscribe to the central blog for more central insights delivered straight to your inbox.
Looking at the tech industry
When developing its modern paid leave policy, Central based its decisions on the progressive policies found in the technology industry, known to be the most competitive PTO industry.
“What we liked about the tech industry was its culture of autonomy and ownership, which is a direct reflection of Central’s culture,” says Wierwille. “We wanted to take that autonomy and ownership and weave in the responsibility for employees to design their own experience — when and where you work, when you take time off and how you combine that.” By offering a modern paid leave policy, employees can take responsibility for creating a better work-life balance.
The result is a paid time off policy that is better than 75% of what top tech companies currently offer. With only 25% of tech companies nationally offering a more competitive policy, it places central well not only in the insurance industry but also in the technology and data fields.
Central’s paid leave policy
Central’s revamped benefits package includes the following:
- Additional paid leave: Every new employee will be given 20 days vacation at the beginning of the date of employment. In addition, employees with 10-24 years of service receive 25 days and those with 25+ years of service receive 30 days.
- Extended paid parental leave: To fully support growing families, Central has significantly expanded its parental leave policy. Both parents receive 100% paid leave for births, adoptions and placement of a child in foster care for 12 weeks.
- Increased bereavement leave: In unfortunate circumstances such as death, Central wants to be a true companion and ensure that employees take care of themselves by taking the time needed to grieve. Employees receive eight weeks of 100% paid leave for the death of a spouse or child.
Did you know? Grief is one of the most common human experiences. Approximately 2.5 million people die annually in the United States, leaving loved ones behind mourn the loss.
- Added paid parental leave: To further support employees and their families, the Center increased carer’s leave from zero to eight weeks at 100% pay to care for a family member with a serious health condition.
- Pay sick days: As minor illnesses for employees and their children are unpredictable, Central employees receive 10 new sick days per year.
Doubles the mental health
Mental health is as important as physical health to an employee’s personal and professional well-being, but is often overlooked by employers. Health, social and economic impacts have serious and far-reaching repercussions on our mental health and the demand for mental health support services continues to grow. As a company intentionally focused on its employees, Central initiated a mental health program to ensure that its employees and their families have access to the care, resources and support they need.
“We put the health and well-being of our employees above all else,” says Wierwille. “Our partnership with Westwood Behavioral Health Center will help eliminate barriers to mental health options — from therapy to group workshops — so our employees can live their best and most balanced lives.”
Each week, five mental health providers offer a total of 30 free hours of outpatient therapy to center staff to address a range of personal and professional challenges. Located near Central’s campus, the center ensures convenient access to personalized therapy and 24/7 emergency services.
An unparalleled employee experience
From its forward-thinking flexible paid leave policy to mental health services and supports, Central takes the critical steps to do what is best for its people and the community as a whole. These policies will create an employee experience that reflects Central’s commitment to relationships, integrity and excellence. To learn more, visit the Benefits page at central-insurance.com.