A federal workplace safety investigation into a maintenance technician’s fatal electrocution found that an Ashland, Alabama cabinet maker may have prevented the incident by following required safety standards, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration said Tuesday.
OSHA investigators determined that the 33-year-old employee of Wellborn Cabinet Inc. was exposed to a 277-volt circuit while changing a light bulb in a painter’s box on March 16.
OSHA cited Wellborn Cabinet with eight serious violations for failing to verify that circuit elements and pieces of equipment were de-energized before allowing an employee to install light fixtures and for failing to use energy isolating devices for hazardous energy.
Agency inspectors also identified violations for the company̵7;s failure to ensure employees wore eye protection when spraying coatings, paints and finishes, and for allowing workers to use an A-frame portable ladder to access the top of a paint booth.
OSHA has proposed $115,188 in penalties.