Wed 20 January 2021
Not many of us will be sad to have 2020 behind us, and good news is: It will not take much to make the year better than last! The bad news? Many of us have abandoned our exercise routines, social engagements and healthy habits just to cope with living through a global pandemic. As we launch a new and hopefully better year, here are ten things you can do to get back on track.
- Reflect: To begin this year with the right time, take some time to reflect on what you've just finished. What gave you joy? What took too much of your time? What did you achieve and where did you come from? There are many ways to make an inventory at the turn of the year, but the important thing is to set aside some time to put everything on paper and get an overall picture.
- Start a small habit: If you have made a New Year's resolution, it can be tempting to go out and commit to doing so in full force, but science shows that this approach is more likely to fail. If you can lock in the "habit-routine-reward" habit loop with just a little behavior, like doing a single push-up every day (seriously!), you are much more likely to continue the habit and can expand it in the long run.
- Write a list of gratitude: [1
- Designing Your Environment: When it comes to creating a new habit or changing your behavior, willpower is completely overrated. Set yourself up for success by removing obstacles to your goal and implementing physical clues and reminders (such as writing a sticky note or putting your shoes on the door) that will remind and encourage you to practice the new behavior.
- Focus on others: Helping others make us feel good and helps us remove focus from our own problems. It often gives us inspiration or motivation to continue working on the things that challenge us the most. Whether you have a little or a lot to give, commit to giving back in some way during the new year.
- Allow self-pity: You will not get very far with a New Year's resolution inspired by self-loathing. Whether it's through action or self-talk, start treating yourself with a little more kindness this year.
- Find your tribe: Whether you are trying to start a meditation or practice habit, stop using alcohol or complete a creative project, it can be a great benefit to find a way to gain support and become accountable to others. Join an online challenge, attend a support meeting or find a mentor to make it much more likely that you will reach your goals.
- Learn to say no: Saying yes to the relationships and activities you want in your life is often due to learning to say no to other, less valuable, chores. If you are struggling to do that, there are many books, programs and support groups that can help, it will be worth it.
- Look for joy: Even on the worst day, there are moments of beauty and joy. Find these moments and once you recognize them, try to take a minute to fully experience them.
- Exercise Acceptance: If you live, you are guaranteed to grow and change every year. But how many of us will become our most perfect, ideal selves? Probably zero. As you go through this year, celebrate your progress, but do not let it define you when you fall short.
For any insurance questions, call or contact Keller-Brown Insurance Services today.
Blog Home – View a complete list of our articles
Keller-Brown Insurance Services