قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Insurance / Never plug a space heater into a power strip

Never plug a space heater into a power strip




By RENAISSANCE ALLIANCE

 burnt power strip cord

The recent frigid weather from the polar vortex prompted fire officials to issue warnings about space heaters, which are frequent source of home fires: Never plug a space heater into a power strip or an extension cord. Space heaters have a high energy load and should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Power strips are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat and cause a fire.

Check out this screen grab of a recent tweet from the Deer Lake Fire Rescue department:

[19659005] Heating equipment is responsible for nearly half of home heating fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Energy.gov says that when buying and installing an electric space heater, you should follow these general safety guidelines:

  • Electric heaters should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. If an extension cord is necessary, use the shortest possible heavy-duty cord of 14-gauge wire or larger.
  • Always check and follow any manufacturer's instructions for use of extension cords
  • Buy a unit with a tip [over the safety switch, which automatically shuts off the heater if the unit is tipped over.]


    Home Heating Fire Prevention infographic ” width=”570″ height=”737″ srcset=”https://www.insureinfoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Home-Heating-Fire-Prevention-Tips.png 570w, https://www.insureinfoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Home-Heating-Fire-Prevention-Tips-232×300.png 232w, https://www.insureinfoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Home-Heating-Fire-Prevention-Tips-300×388.png 300w” sizes=”(max-width: 570px) 100vw, 570px”/>


Posted in Consumer protection, Homeowners

|

Tagged electrical safety, fire prevention, fire safety


Source link