A Nebraska company has been cited by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration after a worker died trying to clear out a grain silo last summer.
The 34-year-old employee was engulfed in corn and suffocated while trying to clean out the silo in Roseland, Nebraska, on September 12, 2022.
The company CHS Inc., which operates as Agri-Service Center Roseland, ignored federal regulations designed to prevent these types of worker deaths, and investigators found the employee’s personal protective equipment was inadequate to protect against ingestion hazards, according to OSHA.
OSHA said the employer failed to equip the worker with a proper body harness and lifeline that could have been used by the worker to rescue him. Inspectors also found the company had a retractable lifeline stand in place, but that the device was not designed to be used for side entry into grain.
The company was charged with two willful and 14 serious violations, and OSHA proposed $531,268 in penalties. The company has 15 days to contest the referrals.