March is National Nutrition Month; The purpose of this theme is to help the public remember the importance of a good diet and a healthy diet. Understanding food labels is the key to living a healthy lifestyle. It is good to keep the following aspects in mind when shopping and consuming to have the most positive impact on your lifestyle:
- Food labels provide important information such as serving size, calories, total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, protein, carbohydrates and vitamin content .
- Food labels also contain a list of important ingredients that can be crucial to use if you follow a diet or have food restrictions.
- They can help you cut down on a certain component, such as knowing the acceptable amount of sodium or sugar that must not exceed a day.
- They can also help you protect yourself with the storage and cooking instructions they provide and detect ingredients that can cause a harmful reaction.
- Food labels can also help help support local food producers based on the origin of the food.
For more information on serving size, calories, percentages per day and nutrients and how to get the most out of your labels, click here. Feel free to share this infographic with anyone else who would value the information.