(Reuters) – Massachusetts prosecutor said on Tuesday that she will investigate the cyber attack on T-Mobile US Inc. which revealed personal information of more than 53 million people.
Maura Healey, Director of Justice, announced the probe after the third largest US wireless operator revealed the breach on August 16
The breach revealed names, birthdays, social security numbers, driver's license information, PIN numbers and other information belonging to an estimated 13.1 million current and 40 million former and future T-Mobile customers.
It was one of many cyber attacks in recent years in several industries, affecting banks, gas pipelines and hospitals, among others.
T-Mobile did not immediately respond to a request for comment. It has said that the intrusion did not disclose financial information, credit cards or other payment information.
Attorney General Healey plans to investigate whether Bellevue, Washington-based company had proper safeguards in place to protect customers' personal information and mobile devices.
The US Federal Communications Commission launched a related investigation last month.
Consumers and other private plaintiffs have filed at least 23 lawsuits against T-Mobile for the infringement, court records show.