قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Insurance / Make sure your summer is not a bummer – insure your fun!

Make sure your summer is not a bummer – insure your fun!

It's time to put the boat on the lake and get the ATVs out of storage. It's also a great time to contact your insurance agent to make sure your summer fun items are properly protected. Here are some tips on how to review your coverage and some questions you can ask your agent to make sure you and your family are insured for the increased risks of the fun outdoor activities.


Small boats can be covered automatically by your homeowner's policy, but coverage is limited depending on the boat's size and engine. If you own a boat, ask your insurance agent about a boat owner's insurance that covers physical damage to the boat and any liability that may arise as a result of its use.

Personal watercraft, such as jet skis, will also require separate insurance.

Questions to ask your agent before putting your boat or jet ski in the water:

  • Does my policy have sufficient liability limitations?
  • Are there special discounts for taking safety courses?
  • Who covers the policy? to use the boat or jet ski?
  • Is the responsibility for towing skiers or people on pipes covered by my policy?

Owning and operating a boat or personal watercraft entails an increased risk of loss of liability. Consider adding a personal umbrella policy to provide liability protection over what your boat policy offers. Talk to your insurance agent about your options.

Golf carts

Golf carts are a popular recreational vehicle both on and off the golf course. Coverage for personally owned golf carts according to homeowners and car policies is usually provided only through approval. Golf carts that are regularly used outside the premises may require a separate policy or be added to your personal car policy as a recreational vehicle. Ask your agent about available coverage options.

Questions You Can Ask Your Insurance Agent:

  • Are Golf Carts Allowed on Public Roads If This Is Their Primary Use?
  • Do they have to be registered?
  • Are there age restrictions on who can use the golf cart?


Off-road vehicles (ATVs) are also not covered by ordinary car insurance; However, your homeowner's policy may partially cover your liability for an ATV. Ask your insurance agent or company if this coverage is enough to protect you and your family. You may want to consider a separate ATV insurance policy to make sure you are properly insured.

Questions to ask your insurance agent:

  • Are there age restrictions on who can drive an ATV?
  • Does my insurance cover friends or family who drive ATVs?
  • Is there a discount for attending an operator's safety course or for riding with a helmet?


Be sure to ask if your homeowner's policy specifies any safety guidelines that you must follow, such as installing a certain height fence or locked gate.

An insurance company may deny coverage or cancel your insurance if you do not follow the safety guidelines or do not inform the company when installing a pool. Check with your insurance agent for pricing and safety guidelines before installing one.

Having a pool means an increased risk of loss of liability. You may also want to consider purchasing an umbrella policy to provide liability protection over what your homeowner's insurance offers.

Collectible Autos

Although these valuables are often insured year-round, they get the most road time during the warmer months. Before you take out of stock in the summer, talk to your agent about your coverage needs for your classic or antique car.


For some of us, it's the way to rent our summer joy. to go. But rents also have their own insurance risks and exposures.

Most standard personal car insurance does not cover damage to a rented motorhome. While liability insurance for personal use is provided, given the size of a motorhome and the potential damage they can cause, the liability limitations for your personal car insurance may not be sufficient.

Rental Cars
Car rental companies offer optional insurance coverage called Collision Damage Waiver to protect you from financial liability should the vehicle be stolen or damaged under your control. Personal liability, bodily injury and property damage are still covered by your personal car policy.

Jet skis
One of the most common rental scenarios for jet skis is jet skis. Despite their popularity, most regular homeowner policies limit liability protection for rented jet skis to people with 50 hp or less, so this restriction may exclude coverage for many, if not most, rented jet skis. Most non-motorized jet skis such as kayaks, rafts, canoes and rowboats should be covered, but it is always best to contact your agent before renting.

How about physical injury? Consider the cost of replacing a pontoon boat if you were in charge of the marina or rental company. Carefully read all leases to make sure you know exactly what you will be responsible for.

Holiday Homes
Your personal liability protection follows you anywhere in the world, as well as coverage for your personal belongings. Should your rented holiday home be damaged or become uninhabitable, there may be no loss of use according to your homeowner, so you would be responsible for the costs of finding other accommodation or traveling home.

Whether you own or rent your summer fun, a personal umbrella policy offers an extra layer of protection over what most liability principles provide. Talk to your agent about the extra protection of an umbrella policy.

Some information mentioned above with permission from the Ohio Department of Insurance.

The coverage above is described in the most general terms and is subject to the actual policy terms and exceptions. For actual coverage formulations, terms and exceptions, see the policy or contact your independent insurance agent.

Source link