Adolescence brings with it many milestones. Perhaps none is more exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time for parents than the day your teenager becomes a driver. Even the most responsible teenage drivers face many potential dangers, from passenger distractions to the temptation to text, adverse road conditions to dangers from other drivers behind the wheel. And there’s no better time to start thinking and talking about it than heading into the summer season.
100 deadliest days
This time of year marks a happy season with the end of the school year, graduation parties and summer vacation trips. Behind the scenes, however, lurks a very real danger. Memorial Day weekend marked the unofficial start of summer but also represents a dangerous time of year for young drivers. Due to a sharp increase in car deaths involving teenage drivers between Memorial Day and Labor Day, this time of year is known as the “100 Deadliest Days”.
Every year on average 2,063 teenage drivers are involved in fatal accidents, and 31% of these deaths occur during the 100 deadliest days. This equates to more than seven car accident-related teenage deaths per day during the summer.
Help your teen be safe with the teenSMART Teen Driving Course
While little can be done about other people’s driving habits, being an aware and defensive driver can greatly reduce the risk of car accidents, ensuring your teen gets where they need to go safely. Central is proud to offer the teenSMART Driver Safety Program from ADEPT Driver, designed to make new drivers more aware of how their choices, behaviors and reactions affect safety on the road.
teenSMART is an online program designed specifically for teenage drivers. The software includes driving simulations, videos, exercises and activities for teenagers and their parents to complete together. Studies show that completing the teenSMART program reduces the risk of having a crash by up to 30%. In addition to the safety benefits, Central is proud to offer a teen driver discount on your policy once your young driver has completed the program.
Subscribe to the central blog for more central insights delivered straight to your inbox.
teenSMART Program Quick facts
- teenSMART is available to teenage drivers between the ages of 16 and 20.
- It takes about eight hours to complete the program – four hours of computer time plus exercises for parents and teenagers and in the car. The training is divided into 20-minute modules so that teenagers can complete the program at their own pace.
- Central offers a 5% premium discount for teens who sign up to the program and an additional discount of up to 20%* for teen drivers who are certified to have completed the program. (*Discount varies in North Carolina)
- ADEPT is discounting the program for central policyholders in June to $59.95 – a savings of $60 off the software’s list price of $119.95.
- This limited-time pricing is available starting June 1st on the registration website or by calling 877.233.7879.
Having your loved ones complete a teen driving course like teenSMART will make them more aware and informed when driving and give you greater peace of mind as a parent. We are proud to partner with parents to ensure the safety of the young drivers who matter most to them. By working together we can make this the best and safest summer ever.