All businesses are advised to have a blog, but does this pose risks? Surprisingly, yes. A blog can mention a specific company, a competitor, or make claims about results, and under the right circumstances, it can lead to a lawsuit. Companies that promise what they can achieve can be at great risk. What happens if the advice is taken, with no result or a bad result? Corporate liability insurance covers the business against the risk of being accused of false advertising.
Business blogging and responsibility
Blogs are among the most popular ways to get information, but a business blog has some risks. The types of problems that can arise related to a business blog include:
- Claims of Defamation: If a blog mentions a competitor or product, it could trigger a lawsuit by the named person or manufacturer who accused you of defamation.
- Allegations of breach of privacy: Posting pictures is always a good idea, but you need to make sure that the person in the picture approves the publication of an image.
- Securities Fraud: A company that advertises itself through a blog must be very careful about the words used, or face scrutiny and legal trouble from the SEC.
- False advertising claims: If you promote your product, business, or service in a blog and a consumer claims that the blog presented false information or that the product did not work as described, you may be subject to a false advertising claim.
- Defamation Claims: A person mentioned in the blog may take offense to what is written and file a defamation lawsuit against you.
Blogging for a living? Get liability insurance.
If you are a blogger and are busy monetizing your activity, attracting followers and seeing your dream come true, it can turn into a nightmare when someone takes your words seriously. To protect you against the cost of defending the lawsuit, liability insurance can save you from total financial disaster.
Whether you write a business blog, personal finance blog, interior design blog, news blog, political blog, or a benign blog like a mom blog or food blog, you need insurance to protect you against the significant losses if a lawsuit or claim is filed against you. Whether the allegation is true or false, you still need a lawyer to defend against the allegations. That̵
What is business liability insurance?
Corporate liability insurance protects against claims for personal injury, property damage, advertising damage such as errors or inaccuracies. It also protects you against losses from bodily injury, libel and slander. Gossip blogs can be fun to read, but a person mentioned may not appreciate any shared, incorrect news that they claim has damaged the reputation. General liability insurance pays for your defense costs if a lawsuit is filed against you, as well as paying out judgments up to policy limits.
Choose the best blogger liability insurance
Get help from a local agent to choose the policy that best suits your blogging activity. It is recommended that you take the help of an insurance professional to guide you to a policy with the highest limits at the lowest cost, from a reputable insurance provider.