The short answer is yes. But that would provide a fairly short article, so keep reading for background on how Ohio car insurance works and the typical process of switching. By reading this article and following our tips, the switch will be much easier for you.
How car insurance works
When you take out car insurance, it is valid for either six months or 12 months, depending on which alternative the company offers. As far as I know, there is no law (at least in Ohio) that says you MUST wait until that time has passed to get another car insurance policy.
The car insurance is yours and as the insured, you have the right to make decisions about that policy, including canceling it on a certain date.
When your 6 or 12 months are over, the next 6- or 12-month period is called your renewal. Yes, many are waiting for renewal, but you do NOT have to.
So if you can switch at any time, why do so many people choose not to do so? a time other than renewal will not be refunded the premium they have paid in advance. That's completely false. Car insurance is always paid in advance – even with a monthly payment option that you always pay for the next month. If you cancel your car insurance in the middle of the insurance period, the money paid in advance is called "unprocessed" premium and must be repaid. It is called earned premium because the insurance company has not "earned" the right to use it.
Two examples to show you how changing car insurance in Ohio
1. You have a 6-month car insurance that runs from April 1 to October 1. You will change from company X to company Y from 1 July. You paid a full 6-month premium in advance. The former company would repay the premium for July 1-October 1.
2. Same 6 month autopolicy with same date, but you pay per month. You have already paid July 1 – August 1, so the insurance company will refund the monthly premium.
I should note that some insurance companies charge a cancellation fee, so it is important to ask if this will happen in your case.
Another thing to note: regardless of your payment method (EFT, online portal, credit card or if you send a check), 99% of the time your refund will come by check.
What is it
I can not speak for how others handle central political shifts, but this is how we usually handle it.
1. Potential customer accepts our proposal and wants to change.
2. We fill in a standard cancellation form that the customer signs. Note: the form requires that we list the current insurance company's name, insurance number and effective date.
3. We will send the form to the current cancellation agent.
This is a nice alternative that is fast, easy and painless. . As long as the previous policy is canceled, it does not matter if we do it or the customer does it. We offer the standard cancellation form as a service to make the process easy.
If you are interested in changing car insurance in Ohio, we are happy to help you. Call or click to get started!