(Reuters) – A federal judge in Detroit on Friday rejected a bid from General Motors Co. about re-establishing a tumultuous process against its lesser rival Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV.
GM claimed that it had new information on foreign accounts used in an alleged bribery program involving the FCA and leaders of the United Auto Workers Union. But U.S. District Judge Paul Borman said GM's "newly discovered evidence is too speculative to justify reopening the case."
GM said it would appeal the decision.
"Today's decision is disappointing, as the corruption in this case is proven in light of the many guilty grounds of the ongoing federal investigation," the largest U.S. automaker said in a statement. "GM's diet will continue ̵
Fiat Chrysler, which had no immediate comment on Friday, has compared the GM archive to a" third-class spy film, full of intrusive allegations. " When it first filed its lawsuit last year GM claimed that the FCA bribed UAW officials for years to disrupt the collective bargaining process and gain benefits, costing GM billions of dollars, GM sought "significant damages" as an analyst said it could have amounted to at least $ 6 billion. Borman dismissed the lawsuit, saying that GM's alleged damages were not caused by the FCA's alleged violations.
The FCA said that when operating plants in Italy and more than 40 other The existence of foreign bank accounts is "unremarkable, and certainly not illegal. "
FCA will be merged with France's PSA before the first quarter of 2021.
" It is … clear to me that this series of attacks is directly related to our success in competing and winning where important, on market, ”wrote FCA CEO Mike Manley employees last week.