A primary focus for entrepreneurs is the bottom line. And when you have a fleet of vehicles that help with day-to-day operations, you want to optimize their performance for savings and bottom line. That’s where telematics comes in. Frankenmuth Insurance is proud to offer a great telematics program for commercial auto customers like you. Are you curious about how this program benefits your company’s security, efficiency, savings and success? Read on.
What is telematics and what are the benefits?
With telematics, a small device is installed in each vehicle that monitors things like driving habits with GPS and on-board diagnostics (OBD). The insights are then delivered to business owners via a simple, emailed report as well as access to a full online dashboard report with customizable report settings. The report shares information such as fuel usage, behaviors that may waste fuel, vehicle maintenance information, driver performance metrics, engine idle time and more. Because telematics gives business owners knowledge about their drivers and gives drivers information to be safer on the roads, it̵7;s a win-win for your business.
Telematics devices can improve fleet safety on the roads. On average, telematics devices provide powerful security benefits such as:
- 45% fewer vehicle accidents
- 75% reduction in speeding violations
- 80% reduction in aggressive driving, including hard braking, hard cornering, sustained speeding and sudden acceleration
Fleet telematics helps business owners save money. Telematics can help drivers save gas by encouraging them to accelerate less quickly, drive the speed limit and more. Armed with insights, business owners can also be proactive in reducing wear and tear on company vehicles, leading to lower maintenance or replacement costs. The biggest savings of all: you may be eligible for a discount on your commercial auto policy by participating in a fleet telematics program.
Built-in rewards for your drivers. Business owners aren’t the only ones who can benefit from a fleet telematics program…your drivers can too. To encourage consistent safe driving habits and reward drivers for making improvements, some fleet telematics programs include driver incentives such as gift cards to restaurants and stores. Business owners can track progress and provide rewards to employees from their custom dashboard.
What other safety tips are there for fleets to follow?
While we’re on the subject of safety, encourage your fleet drivers to follow these tips every time they get behind the wheel.
- Reduce distractions. Follow these five tips to prevent distracted driving. Store your cell phone so you are not tempted to reach for it. Always finish a meal before driving so you don’t eat while driving. Don’t drive drowsy.
- Know where you are going before you go. Study the route so you don’t have to look at your phone or risk a wrong turn.
- Follow the signs carefully. Especially with large vehicles, pay attention to bridge clearance signs, tight turns, hills, reduced speed zones and more.
- Accelerate and brake slowly. Especially if you’re carrying loads, but during any run as a rule of thumb, don’t start walking or stopping too quickly.
- Leave space between vehicles. This is crucial during inclement weather, but always necessary.
- Think about your blind spots. Small vehicles can be harder to see in a large truck. Check several times before changing lanes and be aware of vehicles around you.
- Carry out a pre-trip inspection. Inspect your vehicle before driving. Check all tires, look under the vehicle for hanging objects, and check gas and oil levels.
- Be smart. Smart driving is safe driving. Don’t take risks on the road and remember that your actions affect the safety of others.
Interested in learning more about Frankenmuth Insurance’s fleet telematics program for commercial auto insurance? We are happy to share more about the benefits and how it has improved safety and savings for commercial fleet policyholders. Talk to a local, independent agent about this offer today.