Protect your family from the “silent killer”.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, invisible gas that occurs when certain fuels do not burn completely. And it can be fatal. That’s why it’s important to know how to prevent, detect and protect yourself and your family from its effects.
In the home, carbon monoxide is mostly produced by flames and heaters, as well as vehicles or generators running in an attached garage. So as temperatures drop and more people turn on the heat, hover over the stove inside and warm up their car’s engine before hitting the road, it’s especially important to ensure your family̵7;s safety from this deadly gas.
Since carbon monoxide cannot be detected without a carbon monoxide detection device, it is important to install and maintain one or more detectors in your home.
At Point Insurance, we want you and your family to be protected, so check out the following tips from CAL FIRE San Diego County Fire Authority to protect your household.
- The International Association of Fire Chiefs recommends a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home, including the basement. Additionally, a sensor should be located within 10 feet of each bedroom door, and there should be one near or above an attached garage.
- Each detector should be replaced every five to six years.
- Battery-only carbon monoxide detectors tend to go through the batteries more often than expected. Plug-in detectors with battery backup (for use in case of power failure) provide less maintenance of battery replacement.
- Carefully read the installation manual of the individual detector you purchase. Manufacturers’ recommendations differ somewhat based on research done with sensors for specific brands.
- Remember that carbon monoxide detectors do not work like smoke detectors and vice versa. However, you can purchase a dual smoke/carbon monoxide detector that can perform both functions.
- Do not install carbon monoxide detectors next to fuel-burning appliances, as these appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide on startup.
At Point Insurance, we hope you never need to use the following Mayo Clinic tips, but please read on for great information that could help save a life.
If you suspect you or someone you know has been exposed to carbon monoxide, check for the following symptoms:
- dull headache
- respiratory distress
- loss of consciousness
If any of the symptoms are present, move the person to fresh air and seek emergency medical care immediately.