UPDATED: April 3, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choice.
Advertiser Information: We strive to help you make safe insurance decisions. Comparing shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any individual insurance provider and can not guarantee quotes from any individual provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships do not affect our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies, please enter your zip code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective third-party resource for everything insurance-related. We update our site regularly and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- California Casualty offers over a dozen insurance products in all but six states
- This company sells insurance to teachers, nurses, firefighters and law enforcement officials
- Customers generally leave positive reviews and the Better Business Bureau gives them A +
Some companies focus on selling a specific type of insurance to refine their process and offer a streamlined product. Others outsource a wide range of products so that they can be a one-stop-shop for their customers.
California Casualty is one of the latter. California Casualty is aimed exclusively at teachers, firefighters, police and nurses and wants to celebrate the people who support their communities. With over a dozen products ranging from classic car insurance to snowmobile protection, it has something for everyone.
You can explore what California Casualty has to offer below. If this company seems to be a good fit for your needs, you can compare quotes with other companies to ensure that you get the best possible prices.
What is the California Casualty Insurance Company?
California Casualty’s name, founded in 1914, is a bit misleading. It sells insurance products throughout the United States except in Washington, New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Michigan and Alaska.
California Casualty has a specific mission to sell insurance. It wants to protect people who serve their local communities. For this purpose, California Casualty sells exclusively to firefighters, police officers, nurses and teachers.
This California-based company sells a variety of insurance products, which you can learn about below.
California Casualty Car Insurance
As a car insurance provider, you can buy the standard products that most competitors find. These include:
- Responsibility. Liability insurance covers damage you cause to other people and property. Most states require a minimum of liability protection before you can legally drive a car.
- Collision. While liability covers damage that you cause to other people, collision damage to your car in the event of an accident. Collision covers you regardless of who is causing the accident.
- Extensive. This protection protects your vehicle from damage outside of accidents. This includes damage from fire, weather, theft, vandalism and animal contact.
- Underinsured / underinsured motorist. While most states require drivers to have insurance, not all drivers follow the law. Uninsured / underinsured motorist protects you from drivers with insufficient insurance.
- Medical payments. Getting injured in a car accident comes with large medical bills. If you buy medical payment coverage, your insurance will help pay for it.
Although these are the standard types of insurance, California Casualty offers several additional options to increase the value of your insurance. They have supplements created especially for civil servants, especially for firefighters and police officers. These include:
- Electoral equipment and firearms coverage. If your fire or law enforcement equipment is stolen, damaged or destroyed in your vehicle, California Casualty will repair or replace it.
- Pet damage. As long as the incident is covered, California Casualty will help pay for veterinary bills if your pet is injured.
- Custom or non-factory equipment. People often like to upgrade or customize their cars, but the insurance usually does not cover custom parts. However, this feature will cover non-factory parts.
- GAP coverage. If you put together a new car, you may owe more on your loan than the car is worth. GAP coverage pays the difference between your loan and the value of your vehicle.
In the spirit of celebrating community service, California Casualty also offers Sabbath Day return benefits and Fallen Hero / Fallen Survivors benefits.
California Casualty Home Insurance
For teachers, nurses, firefighters and police officers, California Casualty may be the best home insurance option out there.
California Casualty offers the usual set of insurance options, including:
- Residence. This part of your policy protects the physical structure of your home, including walls, ceilings and foundations. It also covers free-standing structures such as garages and fences.
- Responsibility. If a guest is injured on your property, they can sue you if you are responsible for the incident. Liability helps pay for your legal fees if you are sued.
- Personal property. There is much more that makes your house a home than walls and ceilings. Personal belongings such as appliances, furniture and even clothes can be exchanged through your insurance.
- Cost of living. If your home is damaged to the point of inability to live, California Casualty will reimburse you for lodging and food costs while you wait for repairs.
Just like with its car insurance, California Casualty offers several supplements designed to celebrate the work of civil servants. These include:
- Gun theft without service. If your personally owned vacant weapons are stolen from your property, you can receive up to $ 5,000 to replace them.
- Fallen hero / fallen officer survivor. If a firefighter or police officer dies in the line of duty, their family will receive a death benefit.
- Survivors of deaths from school violence. With increased violence on American campuses, an educator’s family will receive death benefits if they are killed in an attack during school hours.
California Casualty also covers lost luggage, debit or credit card fraud, personal property of teachers and educators’ excess responsibilities.
Other types of California accident insurance
Insurance is one of the best things you can get to protect the things that matter in your life. With that in mind, California Casualty offers a long list of insurance products:
- Motorbike. Like regular car insurance, motorcycle insurance is tailored with bikes in mind. Most states require motorcycle insurance to drive.
- Mexico trip. If you plan to drive to Mexico, your US insurance will not work south of the border. California Casualty works directly with Mexican insurance companies to ensure you have the coverage you need.
- Condominium. Apartment owners need protection similar to homeowners, but there are unique differences that this plan stands for.
- Classic car. Unlike modern cars, classic cars are an investment, and your insurance should protect them as such.
- Snowmobile. They may be recreational vehicles for most people, but California Casualty takes their protection seriously. You can find many of the same types of snowmobile coverage that you would do with a car.
- Personal umbrella. If your liability insurance runs out before your legal bills are paid, you will be stuck with the bill. However, a personal umbrella plan takes over after the responsibility has ceased to cover legal costs.
- Boat. California Casualty’s boat insurance protects the jet ski and your guests.
- Tenants. You do not have to own a home to get protection for your belongings. Rental insurance protects your personal property and is usually very affordable.
This is a small selection of the insurance options you can buy through California Casualty. You can learn more about their coverage options by talking to an agent.
Enter your zip code below to see companies that have cheap insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 encryption
How Much does California Casualty Cost?
Drivers should expect to pay more for coverage through California Casualty. The company embraces its steeper prices with the philosophy that peace of mind is worth the cost.
Although accident rates in California are about 30% higher than the national average, it offers many discounts to bring the price down again. These include:
- University degree
- Good student
- Mature driver
- Safety and security features
Again, this is just a selection of the features that California Casualty offers. When you sign up for a policy with this company, an agent will comb through your information to make sure you get all sorts of discounts.
California Casuality Reviews
California Casualty’s mission is to support teachers, nurses, and other community workers, and it seems to be achieving that goal relatively well. Most customer reviews are positive.
Happy policyholders state that they will be California Casualty customers for life and that they appreciate the special care taken with their needs. Although they like competitive prices, they love the recognition of the services they perform for their communities.
California Casualty conducts annual policy reviews to ensure that customers still need the coverage they originally purchased. Many customers mentioned the review and said that they saved money on their insurance.
People usually report that the claim process is lightning fast and that there are no problems getting claims paid.
Negative reviews are harder to find. Those who do usually mention problems with canceling insurance.
For professional rating services, the Better Business Bureau California provides Casualty A +, although there are several complaints listed on the site. AM Best, which rates companies on their financial security, gives this provider a BBB.
Find the best car insurance for your needs
Even if you have to be a teacher, nurse, firefighter, police officer or other civil servant to be eligible, California Casualty may be the best option for you if you qualify. California Casualty has products for almost all insurance needs.
Even if you are interested in a quote for California Casualty Insurance, you should still buy rates from other companies. Although most customers are happy that they went with California Casualty, there may be better prices for you.