قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Insurance / Burst Sewer Pipes, Condos, and Coverage

Burst Sewer Pipes, Condos, and Coverage

We had an interesting question come this week so I thought I would address it publicly. We've created the question for space and to avoid disclosing any identifiable details.

“I live in a condo building. A sewage pipe burst, causing damage to my unit and a few other units. An adjuster came out representing the association's policy and said that the association's policy would probably not respond to the damage to the individual units. Is that right? ”

This question represents one of the reasons that condominium insurance is a complicated matter. When multiple entities own a piece of property, who ultimately is responsible for that property? Let is step back and look at what a condominium is.

A condominium is a form of property ownership. According to Black's Law Dictionary, a condominium is: real estate consisting of several individual units and where an owner has title to an individual unit with shared ownership of common areas (lobby, roof, parking, elevator). Typically the common areas are managed by a homeowners association and makes sure that maintenance is collected and that the covenants, conditions and restrictions are adhered to by owners.

You should be able to see that there are some potential issues that can arise in this form of ownership. A unit owner owns their share of the building and becomes a member of an association of owners who (as an association) share ownership of the buildings, grounds, and other common elements (like a pool, gym, or office). If we go back to our original question, who is responsible when multiple units are damaged?

That's not an easy question to answer because we can have four different documents to figure it out. It would be easier if these documents all lined up, but we know better we don't?

  1. lucky it is detailed, setting aside certain responsibilities for the association and the unit owners and it has been tested by your state's courts and stood up to different challenges.
  2. How do the association documents read? If you're really lucky they are in complete compliance with the state statutes and they give the responsibilities of both parties in painstaking detail and are enforced by a competent board of directors.
  3. How is the association's policy read? really extra lucky, the association has an admitted property policy, hopefully drafted in compliance with the state condominium statute and based on the ISO CP 00 1
  4. How do the unit owners' policies read? If you live a truly blessed life all of the unit owners have property policies in place and they are also with admitted carriers (hope beyond hope that maybe the unit owners' policies were issued by the same company that issued the association policy) and are based on the ISO HO 06.

With all of that behind us, let's look for an answer to our question.

If the Condo Association is covered on an ISO Condominium Association Coverage Form with Special Causes of Loss (CP 00 17 & CP 10 30), here's some controlling policy language:

F. Additional Coverage Extensions

Water Damage, Other Liquids, Powder Or Molten Material Damage

material damage loss occurs, we will also pay the cost to out and replace any part of the building or repair to the system or appliance from which the water or other substance escapes. This Coverage Extension does not increase the Limit of Insurance.

If the insured has an ISO HO-6, here's some controlling policy language:

Coverage A – Dwelling

We cover:

  1. The alterations, appliances, fixtures and improvements which are part of the building contained within the "residence premises";
  2. Items of real property which are exclusively to the "residence premises";
  3. Property which is your insurance responsibility under a corporation or association of property owners agreement; or
  4. Structures owned solely by you, other than the "residence premises", at the location of the "residence premises".

Still looking at the HO-6, we have to find one more spot.


Accidental Discharge Or Overflow Of Water Or Steam

12. This is an accidental discharge or overflow of steam or steam within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protection sprinkler system or from within a household appliance. We also pay to tear out and replace any part of a building or other structure owned solely by you which is covered under Coverage A and at the residence premises, but only when necessary to repair the system or appliance from which the water or steam escaped. However, tear out and replacement coverage only applies to other structures if the water or steam causes actual damage to a building owned solely by the location of the residence premises.

We see that this is probably a covered cause of loss for both the unit owner and the association. The question about the flooring and damage to the walls within the units is handled in both these policies and here's where coverage can be found. You will also have a look for any exclusions that might apply so don't forget that

the sheetrock, think about everything down to the wall studs) and flooring OR if the bylaws comply with the state condo statute and the state requires that the unit owner cover these items, coverage can be found on the HO-6 [19459009

If the association association bylaws and / or state statute requires the association to cover these items, coverage could be found on the CP 00 17 .

If the unit owner did anything to change wall coverings or flooring, or they request a custom build when buying the unit, coverage could be found on the HO-6

So what's the answer to the question? Of course you know that the answer is my favorite insurance.


Want to stay up to date?

Get the latest insurance news
sent straight to your inbox.

Source link