(Reuters) – Australia will spend $ 1.35 billion ($ 926.1 million) over the next ten years to boost its cybersecurity defense, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Tuesday, when Canberra is trying to fight a wave of attacks.
The announcement comes just weeks after Australia said a "sophisticated state-based actor" has attacked all levels of government, political agencies, key service providers and critical infrastructure operators.
Although Australia has declined to say who it believed was responsible for the attacks, three sources informed on the issue told Reuters that the country believed China was responsible, a proposal that was quickly dismissed by Beijing.
"The highest priority of the federal government is to protect our country's economy, national security and sovereignty. Malicious cyber activity undermines it, "Morrison said in a statement.
The package will contain $ 470 million to employ an additional 500 security experts in the Australian Signal Directorate, the country's cyber intelligence agency.
The funding is part of Australia's Secretary of Defense Linda Reynolds said a $ 1
Australia has never disclosed who was responsible for the hack that came just months before an election, but Reuters reported late last year that the country's intelligence agencies quietly determined that China was responsible for that cyber attack.
China denies that it was responsible for the attack.