When you apply for life insurance, you will probably need to undergo a medical examination to determine your premium. These tests are performed by paramedic staff employed by the insurance company. In addition to the examinations, you must also provide information about your medical and family history.
The insurance company hires a healthcare professional to complete a medical examination before issuing life insurance to identify any health conditions that could shorten your life. The cost of this process is covered by the insurance company.
Where to get a life insurance survey
In most cases you do not have to go to a hospital or health center for a life insurance survey. A life insurance medical examination is often done in your home. The doctor who comes and does the tests brings a kit to collect samples from you.
Why life insurance companies require medical examination
There are three reasons why life insurance companies administer medical examinations:
- To verify the information originally sent to the company in your life insurance application
- To take a complete medical history for the : The questions about the life insurance medical examination go more deeply into your medical history and your family members. If the actuaries decide that you are more likely to die at an early age, they will collect higher premiums early. If the insurance company feels that you will live longer than average, they do not need to collect as much from you at the beginning of your life as they may decide that you will be longer to continue making premium payments.
- To identify any underlying medical conditions. Medical conditions such as diabetes, blood inconsistencies or HIV that the applicant may not be aware of. The company will also verify the use of drugs or nicotine.
Medical examination process:
- A paramedical professional collects your medical history, height, weight, blood pressure, heart rate and (potentially) blood and / or urine samples.
- Examinations do not include sensitive tissues, such as breast or prostate examinations.
- If the insurance company has further questions after the survey, you may be asked. to send more information. Additional tests can be ordered based on your age and the desired insurance amount.
- Once the results have been received by the insurance company, you will receive a risk assessment: either "flat" or "table" for your medical history and condition. . In general, table ratings increase the premium because they are permanent or somewhat permanent conditions.
19659008] Blood tests are used to detect the presence of antibodies or antigens to various viruses and diseases. Urine samples are used to detect the presence of medications and illegal drugs.
Some things to think about before doing a life insurance survey:
- Get a good night's sleep before the survey
- Fast for 6-8 hours before the survey
- Do not drink alcohol for at least eight hours before the exam
- Make sure you are hydrated
- Limit your intake of salt and high cholesterol for at least 24 hours before the exam
- Do not take strenuous exercise for 24 hours before graduation
- Know your medical history
What happens if you fail a life insurance survey?
If the information you provided in the original application does not match the information collected during your medical examination, then you may be denied coverage or you may receive a request for further testing. Be careful as your life insurance may not be valid due to changed circumstances.
If you failed the medical examination or feel that something was wrong with the medical examination, you would like to ask the insurance company to send a copy of your medical examination results to you or your doctor. This way, you can deal with your doctor if you failed because you have a health problem. However, if you failed due to a mistake by the insurance company, you and your doctor can rectify the situation immediately. That way, your erroneous results will not remain in your health record and cause you to be denied other insurance policies.
If you have failed a life insurance survey and have been denied coverage, you should contact one of our licensed advisors who have access to several types of life insurance and companies that can help. Just because a life insurance company refuses to insure you does not mean that everyone will.
That's what we're here for. We work with several companies and can help you find the right policy for you and your situation.