Your hairy friend may love sweets, but what are you going to give them? Although there may be different snacks for your pets, it is always best to go with a veterinarian approved food option. From parties, holidays, or family gatherings, it can be easy for your hairy family member to eat something they should not. Because of this, we sat down with Trupanion veterinarian Dr. Sarah Nold to learn more about peanut butter for dogs and cats and if it is a danger to your hairy friends.
Peanut butter for dogs and cats
Can dogs and cats eat peanut butter?
Although there may be a lot for your pets to talk about, you may be wondering what things are in your pantry. Although some human foods can be given to a dog or cat in moderation, not all foods are pet friendly. Nold points out some important factors about peanut butter and your hairy friends.
“Peanut butter is safe for dogs and cats to eat, but it contains a lot of fat and should only be given sparingly. This is especially true for pets who are overweight. Consult your veterinarian before giving peanut butter to a pet that has a history of pancreatitis or is being treated for food allergies.
Whether you want to give peanut butter as a snack or with your pet's medicine, it's important to talk to your veterinarian. They can help recommend suitable foods based on your pet's breed, species or diet. Furthermore, not all pets are the same and some may not like the taste of peanut butter.
The Dangers of Xylitol
One of the most important reasons to consult with your veterinarian about your pet's food options is the risk of your pet ingesting a poison. Although not all peanut butter is a danger, some may have the ingredient xylitol, which can be dangerous to your pet's health.
In addition, "if you choose to give peanut butter to your dog, make sure it does not contain the sugar substitute xylitol," says Nold. Furthermore, the ingredient xylitol can be present in a variety of food products, such as mint, chocolate or chewing gum. For an additional resource on xylitol, check out this guide here.
Signs of xylitol intake
You may not always know if your pet has ingested a toxic food. Because xylitol can be found in many substances, in small things, you may not notice that one thing is missing. In addition, xylitol intake can cause very low blood pressure in pets, says Nold.
Nold points out some common signs if your pet has ingested an xylitol item.
Consider the following:
What should I do if an intake has occurred
If you think your pet has ingested an item with xylitol or any other household hazard, consult a physician. At high doses of xylitol, it can also cause destruction of the liver, says Nold. The most important factor is to seek medical care and expertise from your veterinarian.
Peanut butter for dogs and cats can be a safe snack in moderation
Whether you choose to give your pet a small dose or a snack in an enrichment toy, pay attention to your pet's behavior. In fact, all the sweets and snacks for your hairy friends should be in moderation and under supervision. But by reading the ingredient list and talking to your veterinarian, your pet can enjoy an unexpected treatment!
For more information on the risks to pets, read Poison Food for Dogs and Cats this Thanksgiving
About the Author