A car accident can be a scary event. Once you have calmed down and made sure everyone is okay, do you know what to do next? To alleviate anxiety in a stressful situation, we have created a step-by-step guide. Here's what to do after a car accident, all the way from the collision to the statement:
- Check yourself . Are you hurt? If so, stay where you are and call 9-1-1 immediately. If you feel okay and your car is drivable, carefully move it to a safe area away from traffic. If it is not, and you do not feel comfortable in it, go to a sidewalk, shoulder or side street.
- Call police . Whether you are injured or not, they should arrive at the scene of each car accident to make statements, obtain copies of driver's licenses and registrations and determine if any vehicles need to be towed. In addition, they give you a police report number that you may need if you are seen in a hospital or doctor's surgery or if you need to file an insurance claim.
- Exchange information with everyone involved in the collision
- . Get names, addresses and phone numbers so that you are equipped to make claims.
- Take some pictures of the damage. Your insurance company will probably take their own photos, but it does not hurt to have them on your phone as well.
- Know what's going on with your car . Ask where to take it if it is being towed. If you have something of value in your vehicle, ask if you can remove it while waiting for a safe ride. Do you need a rental car while yours is being repaired? Read the five things to do before driving off in a rental vehicle.
- Reevaluate Yourself . Now that some of the adrenaline has disappeared, are you still feeling okay, or should you see a doctor?
- Submit your statement . The experts at Frankenmuth Insurance are here to help you navigate all car requirements. Call us 24/7 and a team member will go through the next step. Or simply send a claim online or to your agent.
Do not be surprised by what you should do after a car accident. Stay safe, smart and insured on the roads so that it is a smooth ride every time. Talk to one of our local, independent car insurance agents to ensure you are properly protected.