Sunday, October 10 was World Mental Health Day. The COVID-19 pandemic has really highlighted the need to understand mental health in the workplace. Therefore, now more than ever, employees are seeking mental health resources and understanding from their employer.
As an employer, there are ways to start supporting employees' mental health:
- Promoting mental awareness in the office: Open dialogues and reach out to managers or co-workers if they are struggling. Do not make these important conversations taboo.
- Offer flexible scheduling: without balance between work and private life, it can greatly affect employees' mental health
- Address Workplace stress: it will not be possible to eliminate everything, but work with employees for to manage stress effectively.
- Evaluate benefits: ensure that psychiatric services are met by different providers and coverage.
- Train Managers: works to eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health and train managers to recognize the signs of mental illness, stress, fatigue, bullying.
Finally, the mobile app, Headspace, offers a checklist to continue the improvement on how leaders can create a supportive workplace, how to support your team's well-being, and how to stay centered and strong for yourself. Check out pages 12-13 for the important checklist.
Let's continue the dialogue on mental health and show employees that they play a role and end the stigma!