With the holidays right around the corner, shoppers are preparing by making lists, formulating game plans and hunting for the best deals in town.
As a business owner, your preparation probably looks a little different, perhaps something more like advertising plans, sale signs, and holiday events. Ultimately, your focus is on filling a need – whether that’s providing a shopper with the perfect gift, filling your tables with hungry patrons, or playing Santa’s helper.
To help usher in the start of the holiday shopping season, Small Business Saturday® is about supporting local merchants by, you guessed it, shopping local.
IDEAS FOR GETTING THE MOST OUT OF SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY
From a typical Small Business Saturday® attendees, here are 5 ways to make the most of it and appeal to customers.
- Tell your story. Customers shop local to support local, so help them see how you support your community all year round. Consider sharing the story of your company̵7;s origins or highlighting how you give back. Don’t be afraid to get personal.
- Spread the word. Take advantage of all available avenues to showcase your location, hours, etc., including this material available to you from Shop Small®. Increase your social media posts and create a Facebook event to gain interest and stay focused. Send out a customer e-newsletter, use in-store flyers, and check with local media to see if there’s a Small Business Saturday segment you can get into.
- Partner up. Give customers an easy way to support other local businesses by partnering with your neighbors. Run a joint promotion or consider handing out coupons to their store – and let them do the same.
- Highlight what you have to offer. As a local store, your products will likely be more diverse than those from big box stores, so buy them. Make the most of window displays and front tables by showcasing your unique offerings. This also applies to restaurants! Throw out the sandwich board, show shoppers your grab-and-go deals, and of course, drink deals. Picking up in the middle of the day is mandatory on big shopping days!
- Check in with your local insurance agent. Small Business Saturday has the potential to be a busy – and profitable – day for you. Consider a quick chat with us today before the busy shopping season to make sure you’re covered for everything that comes your way.
Protect your business all year round
While these tips are about taking advantage of Small Business Saturday, they don’t expire at the stroke of midnight, much like the advice and support your ERIE agent provides. Make sure your business insurance needs are met by speaking with your agent today.